Group Pilates Classes
When: Wednesdays at 9.30am
Duration: 60 minutes
Dates: 16, 23, 30 Sep & 7, 14, 21 Oct 2020
Where: Currently running classes virtually via a video-conferencing tool called Zoom due to the Corona virus
Normal venue: 12 Southdown Road, Harpenden (Quaker Meeting House)
What To Expect From This Core Care & Pelvic Floor Repair Postnatal Pilates & Wellbeing Course…
This is a 6 week postnatal Pilates & wellbeing course designed to give you all the essential information you need for a safe, successful, supported and healthy postnatal recovery. We want you to finish the course feeling like the strongest, healthiest and happiest version of yourself. I am truly passionate about supporting mums in the postnatal period and have designed these classes based on the care i wish i had access to after my three babies AND based on what has brought my clients the most successful results.
The Postnatal Pilates & Wellbeing Course Includes:
- 6 virtual friendly and relaxed 60 minute Pilates classes each with a unique theme NOTE: Due to the Corona virus all classes are being taught virtually using a video conferencing tool called zoom.
- Whilst the classes are virtual I am also throwing in an equipment bundle worth £32
- A joining gift of a pack of 30 positive affirmation cards
- Access to a supportive closed Facebook group
- Access to an exclusive members area which includes a weekly Pilates class, 6-10 exercises each week, our favourite nutritious, healing and easy recipes and further information on topics covered in class including a meditation for mums download written by me with you in mind.
- The online members area also includes interviews with some of our trusted network who will share their knowledge and experience. They are extremely knowledgeable and a fantastic source of information and support. They are also members of our client Facebook group so are available to answer questions you might have. The interviews include an Osteopath, a Massage & Scar Therapist, a Women’s Health Physiotherapist, a Nutritionist, a Breastfeeding Counsellor, Postnatal Doula and Holistic Sleep Coach and an Acupuncturist.
- A 30 minute deep health assessment with me either over the phone or Zing Wellness Studio before you start classes where we go through your health questionnaire, discuss your goals and assess your core function and posture.
- Access to a Whats App Group for continuous support between classes
- A voucher for a half price postnatal massage with James Rake (Zing Wellness)
- Best of all you’ll get to meet other local mums and their babies.
The Themes We Cover Are As Follows:
In the Pilates classes we focus on gentle releases to alleviate post-pregnancy and postnatal tension in the body, finding our optimal posture now we are no longer pregnant, restoring core function including rehabilitating diastasis recti and reconnecting with your pelvic floor and functional exercises to strengthen your body in preparation for life as a mum.
The weekly themes are as follows:
- Week 1 – Posture, the pelvic floor and back care in the postnatal period
- Week 2 – Stretch and release
- Week 3 – Breath, the pelvic floor and restoring your core
- Week 4 – Self-care, relaxation, stress and nutrition in the postnatal period
- Week 5 – Those pesky glutes and why they are important
- Week 6 – Motherhood movement patterns – a gentle introduction of more functional exercise like pushing, pulling, lifting, lunging and squatting
We also have a number of add on options you can bolt on to the classes to bring you maximum benefits.
The optional add-ons include:
- An equipment bundle that will include a spiky massage ball, a fascial release ball, a Pilates overball, two therabands and an under-door anchor
- A rejuvenating postnatal massage
The course runs half termly and is followed by a Core Care & Pelvic Floor Repair Into Practice class you can attend to practice and embed everything you have learned.
Your Pilates Course
Sign up to this 6 week Postnatal Pilates & Wellbeing Course.
Join The Waiting List
Our classes are open to 8 people per course to ensure you get lots of individual attention. Therefore, if you weren’t able to secure your space this half-term, please join our waiting list to be notified of any future availability.
Core Care & Pelvic Floor Repair Postnatal Pilates & Wellbeing Online
If my Core Care & Pelvic Floor Repair Course appeals to you but you cannot make the classes themselves you can buy an online version of the course.
- When can I start the Pilates classes? You can start classes from 6-8 weeks postnatal after your 6/8 week check depending on whether you had any complications and how you are feeling.
- How many spaces are there in the Pilates class? There will be 8 places in the class to ensure you get lots of individual attention.
- Can I bring my baby to the Pilates class? You may bring your babies until they start crawling and I even now have a babysitter in the class to help with the babies but they do remain your responsibility and are not involved in the exercises.
- How long is the Pilates course and when does it run ? The course is 6 weeks long and runs in term time only.
- What do I wear to the Pilates class? Please bring some water and wear comfortable clothing including socks.
- What do I need to bring to the Pilates class? Please bring something for your baby to lie on if you want them near you, otherwise I will have an area set up for them with the babysitter.
Angela – I am a specialist Pilates teacher with deep knowledge and experience of working with the pregnant and postnatal population. I did my initial training with Rachel Rafiefar and completed her Thoughtful Body Pregnancy and Postnatal Postgraduate Assessment in June 2015. Realising that this was an area I was truly passionate about and wanted to specialise and immerse myself in, I went on complete Heather King Smith’s Restoring the Core (Pelvic Floor Dysfunctions and Diastasis Rectus) course with Mbodies in March 2017. In July 2017, I completed an intensive period of training on Carolyne Anthony’s Center for Women’s Fitness courses. I attended her Support your Floor, Diastasis Recti Recovery, Pilates for Menopause and Pre and Postnatal training. Still thirsty for more knowledge in November 2017 I completed my Advanced CPD in Modern Post Natal Assessment, Core Restore & Functional Exercise Programming with Burrell Education, leading Women’s Wellness, Fitness & Therapy Educator. I also apply a lot of what I learned in Jessica Coveley’s Practical Fascial Release Methods for Movement Professionals course in my practice which I attended in April 2017. Most importantly I have had three children of my own and after experiencing little to no support after the birth of my first child when I was suffering urinary incontinence and unbeknown to me also a prolapse and feeling hugely let down by the system I started on my own journey of rehabilitating my own body and self-discovery. It has filled me with passion to support and empower all women to do the same. I have spent the last few years working with mums to rehabilitate and reconnect with their bodies in the postnatal period. This course is the culmination of everything I have learned and experienced to give clients results, as ultimately that is what is important!
James – I am a deep tissue and sports massage therapist with a level 4 diploma from Premier Global and I have specialist pre and postnatal massage training with Burrell Education, leading Women’s Wellness, Fitness & Therapy Educator. I was inspired to specialise in pre and postnatal massage when I saw through my work with my clients how much massage could release postnatal tension. It is my experience that massage, together with Pilates and restorative movement, has enabled my clients to reach their goals be it becoming pain free, feeling stronger, being able to jump on the trampoline with their children or getting back to running.
We have experience and many successes supporting postnatal mums with a range of postnatal conditions such as diastasis recti, urinary incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, sacro-iliac problems, pelvic girdle pain (PGP) including pubic pain which was previously called symphysis pubis dysfunction (SPD), sciatica, generalised back tension, neck pain, c-section scar issues, abdominal tightness and musculoskeletal tension, tension headaches, stress and anxiety.
Meet other mums
Destress and have an opportunity to talk
Learn how to safely undertake everyday activities
Regain stability and strength
Release postural tensions & learn techniques to improve your posture and alignment
Move your body
Increase your energy levels
Tackle those aches and pains
Connect with your pelvic floor and deep abdominals. Learn how to both release and strengthen them
Eliminate urinary incontinence and those ‘whoops’ movements when you cough, sneeze, run or jump
Reduce your mummy tummy
Learn how to integrate Pilates into your everyday movement patterns
Return to higher impact exercise safely
Widen your pre and postnatal support network by meeting a range of trusted experts
Heal your diastasic recti
I chose the post natal pilates class to try to work on my separated abdominal muscles. I find Angela’s class easy to follow and very focused on all post natal problem areas. I am feeling the benefits – putting certain exercises into practice during the day and thinking about posture more. This is helping to strengthen my core and pelvic floor – both of which I thought had disappeared forever! It is also the most relaxed I have felt in a long time. Highly recommend!
I started Pilates after developing lower back pain probably post-pregnancy and related to carrying my 2 y old son around! It’s been an excellent experience so far – Angela is a great teacher and the classes are both energising and relaxing and have really helped my back. I reallyenjoy classes and have learnt a lot about looking after my body through developing core strength. Thank you!